The Ensemble explores the thrilling world of tango and has distinguished itself as an ambassador of the musical genre in Canada and abroad. The Ensemble interprets and continues the tradition of the great tango orchestras of Buenos Aires. The various repertoires and recordings form the Un siglo de tango collection and have been acclaimed by the public and critics.
Founded in 1990 by bandoneon-player Romulo Larrea, the septet is comprised of talented and experienced musicians. Under the musical direction of Larrea, the Ensemble developed a unique artistic approach to become a reference for tango aficionados, neophytes or experts.
- Nominated for the Opus price – Concert of the Year - World Music (2013)
- Nominated for the Bourse Rideau 2010 price (Un Siècle de Tango tour)
- 7 Nominations at ADISQ Gala 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997
(Artiste québécois – Musiques du monde)
- Nominated for the Opus price – Best seller CD 1998 (Le Tango de chez nous)
and World Music Artist (1998 et 1999)
- Nominated for the Bourse Rideau 2004 price (Tangos para La Milonga tour)
and in 1999 (Un siècle de tango tour)
- Ensemble Romulo Larrea: official representative from North America during the first Festival Buenos Aires Tango - Argentina (1998)
- Tango First Century and its artists: Revelation of Festival Viva el Tango, Montevideo – Uruguay (1997)
The Ensemble wishes to thank the grant agencies for their support.
Photos: Denis Beaumont.